Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Babies, Babies, and More Babies!

Simmer, simmer! I promise you that it will not be via blog that you find out we're pregnant. Unless of course I don't talk to you too often, then, well... (Please don't misread here. I assure you I am not pregnant.)

Meet Annabel. Curly-headed, blue-eyed bundle of energy! Knows exactly how to push her sisters buttons. I chased her around the house naked trying to get her swimsuit on, which only consisted of a swimming diaper, so really, that's a little sad that I had such trouble with it.

Their parents, Tandi and Johnathon, were spending the day moving into a new house. So, hubby and I asked if we could play parents for the afternoon. The girls and I started our day lounging in the baby pool. We three sat around staring at each other until I discovered that both ladies loved being lifted high and then body slammed, mockingly, into the water. I also taught Elizabeth, the 5 year old, how to squirt her sister by cupping her hands together with a little bit of water in between her palms and then squeezing them together--something hubby taught me. Afterall, what are friends for but to teach your children to terrorize each other?

Then, we all came inside, had some snacks, and made a pallet of blankets on the floor so we could watch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. We treated them to the original version with the creepy, Gene Wilder. Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker! Another favor, no doubt, to the parents.

After several attempts at a nap, and two hours later, we decided that perhaps the girls needed to spend more energy. So, we took a short walk to Walker Park where there is a lovely sand pit and jungle gym, in the sun. In the hot, hot sun. We let them play for about 10 minutes then we began to worry that we were going to give them a heat stroke. So, we packed up and carried the kids back to the house. I now know what my hips are for and hubby, poor, poor hubby now knows the true burn of upper body pain.

After we replenished them with much water, Tandi called to tell me I could bring them home. While I enjoyed every minute of my time with Lizzy and Annabel, this experience really helped hubby and I figure out a few of things.

1.) You cannot raise kids and drive a two-door Honda Civic. (And, I love my car so this is a real dilemma!)

2.) At most, we can probably manage 1 child until that child is old enough to take care of the basics (dressing, bathing, not killing themselves with everyday household objects, helping to take care of another child, etc.) and then we'll adopt one more child.

3.) Cats and children don't always get along.

4.) Hotdog bits will end up in the strangest of places.

5.) Remote controls go to their dying place when children are around. (Tandi, by any chance was there a remote in the diaper bag?)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say that food will in fact be found in the strangest of places, with absolutely no rhyme or reason. (laughing) I would say have one child and then wait until that child is potty trained and well versed in what NOT TO TOUCH and then you can start on number two. This is only to preserve your sanity mind you.
The blessed remote I am afraid has gone where all simple enjoyments go... Check your trash, in between couch cushions, mattresses and drawers. (laughing harder)
Ah the joys and blessings of children.

Much love,
Tandi

PS I think you did a fabulous job according to my children's report!