Friday, August 15, 2008

Lazy Days of Summer

Well, I guess that you can surmise that my desk job that sat me in front of the computer for four hours a day has ended, hence, the lackadaisical keeping up with the blog. This is much harder to do from home for some reason. Maybe because there are 500 other things that need my attention here and at work, well, there was very little.

So, there's one more week left until school begins. I am looking forward to getting into the grind again. On the order for this semester are the following: teaching two sections of Advanced Composition for, what feels like, the hundredth time; taking a poetry workshop and a form and theory of the short story. I'm looking forward to both.

In addition to this, I'll be working part-time for Thea at the flower shop; maintaining a regular workout schedule; writing and sending off work to literary magazines; reading lit mags to keep up on what's being published; maintaining my wifehoodness; and being an active-as-possible member at Vintage; and, of course, blogging.


Monday was my last day at the Quality Writing Center. Monday was also the first day of summer, technically, for those in summer school. No classes. So, I took down and installed 33 computers in our department. This was a hefty job, and I didn't think, nor did my boss think, that I was going to be able to get through them all in one day. About halfway through, I thought to myself, I don't think I'm going to make it. But, then, I found it. Internet Radio! My second wind! 80's alternative! You play the Cure, Adam Ant, Siouxie and the Banshees, Oingo Boingo, Pseudo Echo, the Go Go's and I can work til I drop! So, maybe you're like me. Maybe you have a hard time getting things done because you run out of steam. Maybe you grew up in the 80's and have a special place in your heart for TRUE alternative music. If so, I have two words to help get you through your work day: Live 365. (Okay, one word and a number.)

On Wednesday, hubby and I took a day retreat to Branson, MO. We hit the road in the morning and headed to White Water water park. They've got about five or six different water slides, a wave pool (which I think at one point was contaminated by a child--at any rate I saw lifeguards diving to the bottom of the pool with gloves on), and a lazy river. We had a blast. We quickly found our two favorite water slides and repeatedly knocked small children out of the way and stole inner tubes to get to the top of the line. Not really, but, we should have. White Water also has a really creative kids water park that hubby and I will definitely take our children to once we produce them.This weekend, our buddy Ash is coming up for a canoe trip. We're finally breaking in the canoe! Right now the rivers are low, but we're hoping we get more rain today so we can hit the Mulberry tomorrow morning. Otherwise, wherever we go, we'll be dragging our boats along as they hit bottom, which is no fun. Today, we're taking our friend Luke to lunch before he leaves us to return to Mizzou for another year of college.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Suh-weet!

anything can be done if you have the right music.

I'll try to remember that on monday morning when I have to get up for school. : )