Our power went out yesterday so we headed to Hubby's dad's house to sit in front of the fire. His power was off too, but with the fire it was warmer so we packed up the cats, backpacks, soups, candles, flashlights and spent the night. Our electricity came back on today so we headed home and invited some friends over who weren't as fortunate as us!
Hubby's dad took some incredible pics this morning when we went on a neighborhood walk to scope out the damage. I'll post them once he can send them to me--he's still without power. I have never seen anything like this. I've seen extensive tornado damage, but nothing this devastating done in the winter and with ice. So many trees have split and limbs have fallen. The tops of the trees are decimated and the sound of the limbs breaking is unnerving. It's so strange because you can look out across a field or at the mountains in the distance and see this stellar, breath taking beauty when the sun hits all of nature encased in ice. And then you look around the neighborhoods and see so much destruction.
I took these photos on Tuesday, before the storm hit too bad. They by no means give an accurate account of the damage caused by this storm.

Stay warm; stay safe!

4 comments:
Uh.. yeah. We were without power from 9 a.m. today till 6. It wasn't too bad... but bad enough for me to want to start deep cleaning the carpet with a toothbrush.
I think I was losing my mind.
I am, however, happy that you and yours are safe and well.
Till we see your lovely faces again.
J
We didn't get the ice, but over a foot of snow. IU actually closed and canceled classes yesterday. Since the snow started Monday, MCCSC has closed Tuesday, Wednesday and today.
Wow-IU closing! It must be pretty bad. U of A closed for the rest of the week. I guess conditions on campus aren't so great. A foot of snow. I've never seen that in Bloomington!
Jazz--hang in there! I'm glad your power is back on. We're headed to Kansas City this weekend so we'll miss you at church. :-(
IU kind of had to close. They started closed until noon so their crews could clear the sidewalks and parking lots, but when the county declared a snow emergency at 10, they had no choice. Can't ask people to drive to campus when the county can ticket them for being on the roads.
It's actually snowing again today, but we're not supposed to get more accumulation.
Post a Comment