Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hubby Rocked the 4th!


Not that he doesn't rock on other days, but this was a particularly well-done day. Both of us have typically spent our 4th of July celebrating, in some fashion, with city or corporate funded fire-work shows. Well, this year, due to budget cuts, Fayetteville decided to cancel the fireworks. I suppose that's better than laying off city workers. Okay, it is way better than laying off city workers.

So, on Thursday, hubby calls me up at work and asks if I'd like to go to a Naturals ballgame. He said they'll be a fireworks show afterwards. Heck yea! Because there is much, much money in Northwest Arkansas, and specifically lots of money in Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville, we knew the fireworks show would storm greatness down upon us!

Well, the evening did not disappoint. We arrived at the sold out game to pick up our reserved tickets (hubby took care of all this!) and made our way to our seats. Truly, there is not a bad seat in the house, but I can say that we had the best seats possible. We sat right behind the home-team dugout and the seats were far enough in the middle of the dugout that we did not have to worry about losing any teeth during foul fly balls.

Later, after we lost to San Antonio, the fireworks show began. Nothing makes me more patriotic than bursting metal and flames, deafening explosions, and Proud To Be An American pumping its trebly self from the ballpark loud speakers. Although I sound like I mock, I really felt it. I did feel proud, but not only proud, I felt fortunate. Here I was, with my wonderful husband, being entertained by fireworks and celebrating our freedom. Can it get better? Well, yes. I'm not a huge fan of gospel, but Elvis belting out "Glory, glory, Halleluiah!", with fireworks, on the 4th of July, well, that's just special.


2 comments:

Vanessa said...

can't tell ya how happy I am to have you in the blogosphere.

Soon, you will be mentally narrating your every activity....

:)

Anonymous said...

nice blog, and nice first post. welcome to the world of blogging.